If you have a persistent cough or trouble breathing, your physician may refer you to a pulmonologist.
At Mercer Medicine, our expert pulmonologist can diagnose and treat severe and complex medical conditions related to the lungs and breathing, such as:
- Airway diseases, including asthma
- Chest infections such as bronchitis and pneumonia
- Lung tissue diseases such as pulmonary fibrosis and sarcoidosis
- Chronic lung disease, including emphysema and chronic obstructive pulmonary disease
- Post-COVID conditions also called long-haul COVID
- Pulmonary hypertension
A pulmonologist uses a variety of tests to diagnose a lung or breathing disorder. Mercer Medicine makes it easy to complete your diagnostic testing by offering the following services in-house:
- A Pulmonary Function Test is a non-invasive test that measures how well your lungs work. You might need this test if you have trouble breathing from allergies, an injury or surgery infection, or suffer from chronic lung conditions.
- Ultrasound images are a simple way for your physician to view your respiratory system to check if you have fluid around your lungs or other issues.
- Chest X-rays help find abnormalities in the respiratory system and are often one of the first tests your pulmonologist will order.
- A CT scan shows detailed images of your lungs, heart, blood vessels, airways, ribs, and lymph nodes, making it possible to detect lung cancer and other ailments earlier for better treatment options.
- A low-dose CT scan can detect lung cancer early when it is more likely to be cured. Your physician may recommend this screening if you are a long-time smoker who is otherwise in good health.