Our board-certified, fellowship-trained cardiologist is an expert at diagnosing and treating a vast number of heart-related conditions to help you live as much of an active and healthy lifestyle as possible.
Your physician may use a variety of tests to diagnose a heart condition. At Mercer Medicine, we have the expertise and technology, so you don't have to travel far to get an accurate diagnosis. Some of our most common tests include:
- Lab Tests are usually blood tests that check for heart disease and issues that could be affecting your cardiovascular health.
- Transthoracic Echocardiogram uses sound waves to create computerized outlines of your heart's valves, chambers, and blood vessels so the physician can check for abnormalities and extra fluid around your heart.
- Electrocardiogram also called an EKG or ECG, is a test that records the electrical activity of your heart through small electrode patches.
- Stress Electrocardiograms test how well your heart responds to physical stress. Your physician will typically use exercise on a treadmill or bicycle to stress your heart. If you cannot use a treadmill or bicycle, you will receive medications to simulate a normal reaction of the heart to exercise.
- Holter Monitors are lightweight portable EKGs that monitor the electrical activity of your heart 24 hours a day for one to five days.
- Event recorders are monitors worn for several weeks to measure the electrical activity of your heart and are ideal if you have infrequent symptoms.
- Nuclear Stress Tests measure blood flow to the heart muscle while you are at rest and during activity. It can identify damaged heart muscle and areas of low blood flow.
Management and Treatment Options
Mercer Medicine's cardiologist provides a variety of services to help manage and treat heart-related issues such as high blood pressure and heart failure, as well as problems with heart rhythm, heart valves, blood vessels, and other heart and vascular conditions.
Mercer Medicine's Coumadin® Clinic helps patients taking Coumadin® or any other brand of anticoagulant who need close blood and medication monitoring.