The endocrine system is a complex network of glands and organs. It uses hormones to tell the body what to do and when to do it.
A slight imbalance in your hormone levels can affect you enormously, causing health problems like weight gain, high blood pressure, and changes in sleep, mood, and behavior. Your body’s ability to protect against diseases like diabetes can also be affected. If you have symptoms of an endocrine disorder, our board-certified, fellowship-trained endocrinologist can help.
Many conditions can cause issues in the endocrine system. Some of the most common disorders we treat include:
- Adrenal disorders
- Endocrine cancers and tumors
- Metabolic disorders
- Pituitary disorders and tumors
- Thyroid disorders
At Mercer Medicine, we offer a variety of tests and tools to ensure that you are getting an accurate diagnosis, such as:
- Lab Tests are usually blood tests that measure hormone and glucose levels to diagnose potential problems with your endocrine system.
- Ultrasound uses sound waves to check your thyroid gland and parathyroid glands for anything unusual, such as enlarged areas or nodules.
- CT scans give your physician an inside look at your body, making it possible to detect cancers and other disorders.
- Bone mineral density test, or DEXA scan, determine your bone density and can detect osteoporosis before a fracture occurs.
- Fine needle aspiration is a simple and safe type of biopsy used to evaluate thyroid nodules or lymph nodes for cancer.
Controlling diabetes is so much more complex than taking a pill. Diabetes affects the whole body, and many factors can influence your ability to manage the condition. At Mercer Medicine, our certified diabetes educator can train you on understanding medications, preventing complications, and using a continuous glucose sensor or insulin pump. Our goal is to provide you with the information and support you need to live a longer, healthier life.